AmeriCorps Construction Crew Leadership Opportunity
Serve, learn, and lead the way with Habitat for Humanity of Greater Cincinnati in Cincinnati, Ohio. Take part in our affiliate’s vision to provide affordable home ownership opportunities to hardworking local families. Our affiliate is looking for dedicated, hardworking individuals to join our AmeriCorps team to help us achieve our goal of building or rehabbing 20 homes and repairing 50 more. Members are trained with the intention of ushering them into leadership roles on the build site. As part of a close-knit team, you’ll form lasting friendships with your fellow AmeriCorps members and learn skills that will last a lifetime, as well as learn from industry professionals about project management and on-site leadership. Second-year AmeriCorps members receive a $200/month student loan repayment or housing assistance, paid directly to their student loan institution or landlord. For more information about Habitat for Humanity of Greater Cincinnati, click here.
Construction Crew Leader
As a Construction Crew Leader, you are integral to our goals of building more homes and better neighborhoods and communities throughout our service area. Your primary responsibility will be to assist with hands-on construction tasks including, but not limited to, site prep, framing, roofing, finish carpentry, landscaping and clean-up. Additionally, you will lead small groups of volunteers, providing them with on-site orientations and safety talks and ensuring that they are well-employed while on work sites. On occasion, you may participate in larger community projects or affiliate events.
Please Note: construction experience is not required.
• 18 years of age or older
• U.S. citizen, national, or lawful permanent resident
• High school diploma or GED equivalent (or agree to work towards one while serving)
• Driver's license
• Ability to be on one’s feet for extended periods of time, often on rough and uneven terrain
• Ability to lift at least 50 lbs. on a regular basis
• Ability to work on ladders and heights of up to two stories
• Ability to work in varying weather conditions – sites are often not heated during winter and not air-conditioned during summer
Benefits of Service:
• AmeriCorps National living allowance of $15,570 (paid over the full 46.5 weeks of full-time service)
• Segal Education Award of $6,095 (upon successful completion of service) – lifetime maximum of 2
• Affordable Care Act-compliant health care plan (Habitat pays the monthly premiums)
• Student Loan Forbearance (if eligible)
• Child Care Benefits (if eligible)
• 10 personal/sick leave days
• Approx. 10 holidays (dependent on service location)
• Member Assistance Program (MAP) – offers free services, such as counseling and financial planning resources
What’s in it for you?
At the end of the service year, you will have helped us complete 20 new builds, 50 critical home repairs, and as a result, serve 70 families. In addition, you will have recruited and/or managed 600 volunteers in the building, rehabilitation or repair of homes.
What’s needed to apply?
• Resume (tell us about your experience)
• Motivation Statement (express why you want to serve) – input in “Cover Letter” section
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Job Type: Volunteer Opportunity
Employment Type: AmeriCorps
Go to www.habitat.org/americorps. Scroll down to below the map and search for Cincinnati in the “City” block. Click on the “HFH of Greater Cincinnati - National - Construction Crew Leader” position link. On the next page, scroll down and click “Apply Now.”
The direct link for the position description with the “Apply Now” button is located here.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.