Residential Construction Director
Employment Status: Salaried, Exempt
The Construction Director is responsible for leading and managing the residential construction programs for Habitat for Humanity of Greater Cincinnati. This includes new residential construction, rehab, and repair of homes consistent with:
1) an annual plan established in collaboration with the CEO and the Board of Directors; and
2) Habitat for Humanity building standards, safety and volunteer policies practices and policies.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following; other duties may be assigned:
1. Lead the day to day activities of the residential construction department including property acquisition, design, permitting, safety, construction, rehabbing, inspections, energy rating, and subcontractors to build and rehab 20-50 homes a year for Habitat homebuyers.
2. Lead the day to day activities of the home repair department including vetting home repair projects, establishing project scopes and budgets, and completing 50 – 150 repairs a year with volunteers, staff, and sub-contractors.
3. Establish and operate systems and processes to maximize the efficiency of staff and resources balanced with the role of volunteers and Habitat homebuyers in the Habitat ministry.
4. Recruit, retain, and grow residential construction staff consistent with the strategic plan, budget, and the organization culture.
5. Establish an annual plan for new build, rehab, and repair projects in collaboration with the CEO.
6. Lead in ensuring that we are a safe construction operation compliant with the HFHGC Safety Policy, the HFHI Safety expectations, and all laws. Role model construction safety and take steps necessary daily to ensure safe work environments for staff and volunteers.
7. Create, deploy, and manage project schedules, budgets, and expectations. Adjust resources as events happen to deliver on HFHGC priorities.
8. Collaborate with Development to deliver build schedule commitments established with major donors.
9. Be a good steward of all construction resources including staff, volunteers, materials, tools, and vehicles utilizing systems and work processes for deployment, warehousing, inventory, tracking, maintenance, and security.
10. Deliver the annual production schedule on time and on budget with impeccable safety.
11. Lead and manage an organization of 10-20 personnel with 4-6 direct reports. Establish annual expectations with each employee including production deliverables and personal development.
12. Fully participate as a collaborative member of the CEO’s Leadership Team.
13. Meet annual performance goals.
- BA/BS degree, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 10 to 15 years of residential construction experience or other relevant experience.
- Demonstrated construction project management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to manage a portfolio of residential construction projects.
- Proficient with standard Microsoft Office programs and project management software.
- Demonstration of exceptional interpersonal skills in a variety of social and professional settings to ensure good working relationships with colleagues, donors, homebuyers, and volunteers.
- General knowledge of real estate and low income housing.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Highly capable in relationship building and relationship management with sound judgment.
- Embraces diversity and inclusion.
- Ability to perform as a team player, combined with ability to work independently with limited supervision.
- Experience working with committees and volunteers.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Ability to ensure that volunteer and donor appreciation is an essential component of our everyday work.
- Ability to lift 80 pounds and function on scaffolding, ladders, and roofs.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
To apply: Please send your resume and salary requirements to HabitatforHumanity.HR@habitatcincinnati.org or mail to Habitat for Humanity of Greater Cincinnati, Attn: HR, 4910 Para Drive, Cincinnati, Ohio, 45237. Habitat for Humanity-of Greater Cincinnati is an EOE. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, or national origin.